Friday, April 21, 2006

Things Learned of Late


1. In planting my own Porch Garden (known in some parts as a Container Garden) I have learned that tomato plants should be buried very deeply in the soil. The instructions on my Big Boy Tomatoes (not pictured) recommended that I bury 80% of the plant. That sounded ridiculous to me. I decided to bury about 50% of one plant and 20% of another and study their progress with much scrutiny. I have also planted Snap Dragons (pictured), Rosemary (pictured), Lavender (pictured), and Basil (already dead). Advice is welcomed.

2. One of the many conversations I don't enjoy having very much now is the one about the James Frey scandal. This week I heard about the Navajo writer Nasdijj, who published three books about Native American life, but is actually a white person named Timothy Barrus, fervent dog owner and former erotica-novelist. I am now wondering if this will take the literary foibles debate elsewhere. Or if this is old news that just took a long time to get to Ohio.

3. The good word is that many of you have published stories of late. You do not want me to post the news on the blog, because you are shy. I say now, publicly, Good Job!

4. I learned this week that because the Cincinnati Reds are under new management, they now have cheerleaders. Everyone keeps saying, "Cheerleaders in baseball?!? I don't know about that!" And then that's the end of the conversation.
  • Reds Cheerleaders Jumping In The Air
  • 3 Comments:

    At 11:42 AM, Blogger SAS said...

    One more thing I forgot: I have also learned about Carpenter Bees and was determined to shoot them with chemicals (they are destroying my window frames) until I read about the valor of the male. They zoom around in defense of the female but have no stinger themselves. Now I am charmed by them and looking for a way around killing them. Suggestions?

     
    At 1:37 PM, Blogger Manaster said...

    I know that if you leave bottle caps of beer out wasps will drink themselves to death. Maybe it works with bees too.

     
    At 12:57 PM, Blogger SAS said...

    Beer does not work.

     

    Post a Comment

    << Home