Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Plagiartastic


This month's issue of Harper's came and made me all smart for a few days. I fear the new smartness has worn off now, as I have already regurgitated what I've learned (in an increasingly inaccurate fashion) to 3+ people and that's the limit. From there, my fervor wanes and I can remember the look of the essays on the page and the feeling that there was something important happening in there. And then I'll go around with a spark of righteousness and indignation in my head until I realize I no longer recollect the source; I just know there was something to be upset about and I've got an issue somewhere in the apartment to back me up.

Before I forget the source, I extend to you the actual text. May you remember more than I do: Jonathan Lethem's "The Ecstasy of Influence" is a "Plagiarism," complete with a Usemonopoly.

Edward N. Luttwak's "Dead End" is also very worthwhile. I was utterly persuaded by it, which makes me a little afraid of reading it again.

And there's a Munro story in there too.

Good golly that was a good issue. I will send it to anyone who wants it. I'll even throw in a few extra surprises. We'll call it a mystery grab bag.

1 Comments:

At 7:15 PM, Blogger JuliaChilds said...

What's up proets? This is a good book:
Potscrubber Lullabies - Eric McHenry

thanks for the posts, I wuv woo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home