Monday, December 26, 2005

Mood Pieces


Once in a while you read a story that's so strange and poetic, it completely envelops you in its world. A couple of years ago I read William Gay's "The Paperhanger" and didn't quite understand or appreciate it. But I remembered it, and a few days ago I read it again. It felt a little like being attached to a heavy rock that was slowly sinking in a cold green lake. There are stories you appreciate for character, or wit, or plot, and then there are stories that capture a mood. I'd love to know what stories have cast those kinds of spells on people.

1 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger Y said...

I of course have always been in love with William Trevor--I taught a story from his latest collection, about a man and a woman ending an affair, which is not particularly a new story from Trevor, or from anyone. Half an hour before class a student, who is happily in love with her husband, emailed me and said she almost wished she had an affair with someone just to experience the mood in Trevor's story.
Of course Trevor's stories/novels always have this effect on me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home