Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Where Are They Now?

So, my dear ropers, where are you? What are you doing? This back to school time of year has me nostalgic for noon beers with Mullins and Bognanni at George's, dollar Tuesdays at Martini's with Team Barrelhouse, Maker's Mark at the Foxhead, $1 PBR at Deadwood, eating that last nasty slice from Pizza on Dubuque, and then falling asleep during Julie Englander's question-and-answer portion of Live From Prairie Lights.

In the meantime, I'm finishing up my course work for my PhD here at Florida State. Taking my preliminary exams in March, hope to graduate in December 2008. I've got a few stories coming out, including one that is online now at http://narrativemagazine.com/sq (free registration is required to read the whole thing). Perhaps the most important thing is that Tracy and I are expecting our first child, a girl, in December.

So why don't we all pony up with the where and whens of our life. Or you could just email me (that hint is directed solely at Strickley).

3 Comments:

At 3:54 PM, Blogger SAS said...

I know there's little hope of reviving the blog, but in an effort to inflate it just for a brief moment, I'll tell you what I (one of them) am doing:

Moving for the third time within the same damn city. Teaching in a potentially hazardous area. Listening to many absurd overhead pages in the office building where I work editing fine art magazines. Walking often with my small black dog, who has my number and would have yours too if you saw his pointy face. Finally, I am way into white wine spritzers right now and I have been for well over a year.

Steve: congrats to you and Tracy. I've said this already, but not on here, where exactly 12 people/day will see it.

 
At 2:35 PM, Blogger umbilicalkid said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 
At 2:37 PM, Blogger umbilicalkid said...

OK, fine. I'm in Denver, doing what I do, traveling too much for work and weddings, frittering away too many hours in the day. I'm reading some poetry these days, which is nice, and even trying my hand at writing some. Screenplay still in the works for a woman in NYC who of late has "reclaimed" the project and turned what I thought was finely hewn dialogue into rambling, ellipses-infested, stream of consciousness patter. This is disappointing but not altogether unexpected or insurmountable. Unlike SAS with her spritzers, I'm into Rose at the moment, usually with a few ice cubes thrown in. It makes me feel, strangely, more like a carny than a guy who just admitted to drinking a lot of rose and reading poetry. Speaking of which, if anybody has any suggestions for poets to check out, please send them my way (jclair@factset.com).

And to Steve and family, nicely done.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home